Sunday, January 31, 2016

Tiny Moment of Awesome – Recap and Retroactive Kickoff



Tiny Moment of Awesome started out as a bit of a joke, the first week of this year. That first Tiny Moment of Awesome came as I was listening to a song demo I was working on. My mother, who perpetually overestimates my guitar skills, heard a snippet of the remarked that she had assumed she was listening to John Petrucci. Never mind that I sound nothing like Petrucci and am nowhere near his level – I loved the fact that she misattributed my work to him. Even from my mom, who I expect to be overly kind, that’s a compliment, and a confidence boost. The fact that she knew John Petrucci’s name and some of his work was great too. So I hurriedly pecked out the following and posted it to Facebook:
The idea of some small moment, some highlight to the week- especially one that’s small in scale, really resonated with me, and apparently a few friends agreed, so I decided to keep it going. The title, “Tiny Moment of Awesome” reminded me of a delightful piece of art I saw several years back in the Blue Plate Diner, and which I regret not buying. I resolved to pick some small thing every week that made me smile or laugh, or made the week more enjoyable, and share it as the week’s Tiny Moment of Awesome. Here’s week 2:
Week 3:
Week 4 took me all the way back to high school:
This is a great memory. I remember how excited I was for this show, and to actually be in a band. So excited, that the following week I ran out and traded in my tiny Stephens practice amp for a more substantial Peavey Envoy 110. Sadly, the band broke up two days later, but I’ll never forget the feeling of elation playing for that handful of people at the church pavilion.

Week 5 probably requires some explanation for anyone reading this who’s not LDS, and definitely merits re-posting the picture in question:
Here’s the picture, from Pres. Dieter F. Uchtdorf’s own Facebook page:
For those who don’t know, Dieter F. Uchtdorf (left) is an apostle, and a member of the First Presidency in the LDS church. He’s a man who I sustain (as I likewise sustain the other apostles) as a prophet, seer, and revelator, and a representative of Jesus Christ on Earth, on par with the ancient apostles Christ chose during his earthly ministry. In his professional life, he was a very skilled, well respected pilot, (both with the West German Air Force and Lufthansa). For more on him: https://www.lds.org/church/leader/dieter-f-uchtdorf?lang=eng

Colonel Gail Halvorsen (right), also known as the “Candy Bomber”, served in the U.S. Air Force and took part in the Berlin Airlift, where he brought joy to thousands of children by dropping packages of candy, attached to tiny parachutes, from his C-54 cargo plane.

Harrison Ford likely needs no introduction. We all know him for his roles as Han Solo, Indiana Jones, and others. He’s perhaps less well known for his skills as a pilot in real life, with both fixed and rotary-wing aircraft. He has been known to lend his skills and his own helicopter in the service of others, partnering with search and rescue crews to find lost hikers near his home.

Perhaps that’s too much explanation, but I can’t emphasize enough how much cool is contained in this picture.

With a few weeks under my belt, it dawned on me that I might as well post this stuff to my sadly neglected blog, as well as to Facebook. If nothing else, it’ll amuse me, and force me to write more than I otherwise would. Here’s hoping it’ll bring some enjoyment to someone else as well. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment